Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Elements: Water

Ah, water! My astrological symbol is the Pisces, the fish, and I have a strong affinity to water. It ebbs and flows. It is strongly effected by the moon. It can be calm and gentle one minute and a raging storm the next. It can be a solid, liquid, or gas!


For most magickal people, West is the direction of Water. The ending of the sun's journey across the sky. It is often the direction of the land of the dead. In ancient Egyptian culture, the west bank of the Nile was where all the burials happened. In Greek mythology the West wind is called Zephyrus. It's colors are that of the sea: ranging from bright blue to purple-black, teals, and blue-greens. It's magickal tools are the cup, cauldron, goblet, and reflective surfaces like mirrors. 

The Undine is the elemental of Water and are also called Nymphs and Mermaids. Nymphs, Mermaids, and Undines are associated with an ethereal beauty that drove men mad with want and women jealous with envy. They have many of the personality qualities that water has calm and gentle then raging then back to calm.

Water is, of course, associated with the animals of water, specifically fish and dolphins but also serpents. Serpents, in this case, mean both water loving snakes and the mythological sea monsters.

When it comes to magick, Water is used for: love, intuition, female fertility, spirit communication, purification, pleasure, friendship, marriage, sleep & dreams, security, and journeys. 

Assignment: Get to know Water!

Water is one of those elements we take for granted because it is such a part of our daily life. Think about it though: we're 60% water; only 2% of the water on earth is fresh water, the other 98% is salt water; the average American uses 176 gallons of water a day! (Retrieved from: 
http://www.waterinfo.org/resources/water-facts) Spend a day, an hour, being conscious of your water use. 

Water is one of my favorite elements to work with. Granted, there is a bit of bias there being a fish and all. It can be used to wash away your problems: write your problems on paper (preferably natural and easily biodegradable) and send it down a stream or river; wave good-bye.  

No comments:

Post a Comment