Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Work and Holidays

I have little sympathy for the retail employees who have to work Thanksgiving. I think it's stupid that we have come to a point of consumerism that we need stores open 365 days a year. I have no sympathy because I've worked in industries that don't have holidays, several in fact. Be thankful you have a job, remind people who come to your store on Thanksgiving that you're missing time with your family (make 'em feel guilty as hell), and suck it up -- you aren't alone!

*Agriculture - Animals need food, plants need water, and animals that produce milk don't take days off, ask any lactating mother.

EMS - Someone will call 911. Actually, several people and at least 3 of them will be real medical emergencies!

Fire - Turkey fryers...need I say more?

*Hospital (health care)- That 911 call needs to go somewhere!

*Hotel & Hospitality - Grandma sold the house last year and bought a condo, we can't all sleep there!

Industry - I know for a fact that IBM has plants that are working on Thanksgiving. (And they charge their employees a vacation day for Christmas.)

Military - You don't have to like it but it's true. Remember, you know can go home when you're shift is done but will they be able to?

Police - There's an Uncle Ralph out there that's going to drink too much and pick a fight with the neighbor's hedge.

Restaurants - Not everyone cooks...and there's Chinese Turkey. ;-)

Town/State Road Crews - For those of us that live north of Nowhere and 3 feet of snow by Thanksgiving isn't unheard of.

Yes, this is a light hearted (and obviously seasonally referenced) look at who will be working this holiday. However, these businesses/industries ARE open. Most of them 24/7/365 without regard to holidays, birthdays, seasons, or even tragedy.

The stars * are industries I have worked or currently work in.

Hospitality I worked in for 10 or so years from the time I was 16  until my son was born. There are many New England ski areas that are open, at least partially, by Thanksgiving and many MANY people celebrate it on the slopes.

Hospital (health care) I am currently employed in health care. I manage a primary care physician's office. It is the first time in many years that I am employed and NOT working during the holiday. I did spend 3 1/2 years working in a hospital and worked my share of holidays.

Agriculture is the closest to home, litterally. My father and 2 of his brothers run a dairy farm. My brother, sister, and I were raised ON the farm. Our holiday schedules are around milking times! We have Thanksgiving and Christmas "dinner" at about 1pm, between the milkings which are 3am & 3pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment