Monday, September 28, 2015

Magickal Monday: September 28th

Honoring the Ancestors

"Light bulbs die, my sweet. I will depart." Mr. Magorium, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

As we drift from Mabon to Samhain we begin to reflect on the passing of life from one plan to another. This year, Death has been a presence in my life. To put it bluntly, the first few months of this year really freakin' sucked!!!

Days before Yule, Death came and took an uncle. While the loss of any loved one is sad, this was not necessarily a bad death. Many cannot understand the concept, but I promise you that there is such a thing. My uncle was 65 and for the last 53 years he has been trapped in a broken body and mind. The joys (?) of being an empath and psychic meant that my uncle spent his first 48 hours free of his body talking my ear off. It was good to know that his release had not changed his sense of humor and sarcasm but rather sharpened it. 

Early in February, a neighbor who was my mother's best friend and my best friend's mother, returned home after being in rehab since before Thanksgiving. She passed quietly in her home only a day after she got back, with her cat sleeping on her lap.

The end of February brought the passing of another neighbor. The first person to ever give me champagne on New Year's Eve. A woman who had been in my life for at least two decades, the mother of my son's best friend, and one of the strongest people I have ever met lost a short battle with cancer. 

I share this because death is part of  the wheel of life and Samhain (Halloween) is a time to reflect upon the ancestors and those who have passed through the veil. This time of year the veil thins and communication between this world and the next becomes easier. For the month of October (and into November if you wish) take a page from the Asian cultures and set up and ancestors shrine. Decorate it with pictures and mementos of those who have gone before. Meditate on the lessons they may have taught you either directly or indirectly. 

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away..."  Sir Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man


No comments:

Post a Comment